P3A Professional Development Reimbursement
Process and Guidelines
The Professional Development (PD) committee will review all incoming applications. The PD committee meets monthly to review applications if needed. The PD committee will review all applications upon receipt.
The PD Committee operates on a fiscal year with a plan to appropriate $15,000 each year for fiscal years (FY) 2018, 2019, and 2020, $15,000 to the PD fund. The PD fund will increase to $21,000 for the FY 2021. There will be unlimited carryover of unused funds from one contract year to the succeeding contract year(s).
Professional Development Reimbursement Guidelines:
Each employees is entitled to apply for up to $4,500 PD reimbursement funds per the duration of the union contract.
Each employee shall be entitled to apply for reimbursement at the maximum rate of $1,500 per fiscal year.
Employees are responsible for professional development costs in advance of the professional development reimbursement approval.
In-State: Conference fees, mileage and parking
Out of State: Conference fees, travel, lodging and meals
Meals: Rates as listed in Article 17 of the CSEA Contract, under Professional Development and Tuition Reimbursement.
Professional Development Reimbursement Process:
Employee must submit the P3A Professional Development Reimbursement Application at least six (6) weeks prior to the start of the conference date. Click here to review the State Employee Travel Information.
- Complete the P3A Professional Development Reimbursement Application.
- The application should include copies of the professional development event and travel expenses.
- Obtain supervisor approval on the P3A Professional Development Reimbursement Application Form.
- E-mail the approved reimbursement application to the PD Committee for review to SDE@ct.gov.
- The PD committee will review and send an approval or denial via e-mail to the P3A member.
- If approved, employees must complete and submit a travel authorization form, CO-112, at least four (4) weeks prior to the start of the conference date. Review the Union-Funded Travel Procedures for additional guidance. The CO-112 is available at osc.ct.gov.
- Once the conference is completed, employees must complete the appropriate forms for reimbursement, which might include the employee payroll reimbursement form, CO-17XP-PR, employee voucher addendum form, and the CO-17XPA. The CO-17XP-PR and CO-17XPA forms are available at osc.ct.gov.
- Return the approved application and certificate of completion, all applicable receipts, approved CO-112 as well as a CO-17XP to your agency travel representative for reimbursement from the Comptroller’s Office. Members will receive their reimbursement directly from the State Comptroller.
The PD Committee will approve applications for professional development opportunities within six weeks of receiving the application. The employee and their supervisor will receive an e-mail containing the written memorandum and notice of approval once determined. Once the employee receives the notice of approval then the employee is to follow the union funded travel procedures.
Approval of professional development opportunities by the PD Committee will not be unreasonably denied. In the case where a denial is when determined, then the denial notice will include an explanation in a written memorandum. An unreasonable denial of any employee’s request may be appealable to the Office of Labor Relations. The Office of Labor Relations shall respond to the appeal within five working days.
The PD Committee will review complete applications only.
Employees must notify the PD Committee, the Comptroller as well as their agency representatives if any changes or cancellations occur.
The fiscal year ends on June 30. Employees are encouraged to submit reimbursement paperwork prior to June 30 each year so that applications are processed by the end of the fiscal year. All completed applications are subject to available funding at the time of receipt. When current fiscal year funds are depleted, no additional applications will be considered.
Please keep copies of all your documents.
Article 17, section 4 of the P3A contract contains language pertaining to the professional development fund. Click here to read the P3A Contract.
Professional Development Committee Members:
The committee comprises two union representatives and two management representatives.
|Shola Freeman||SDE-P3A Union||860-713-6532||Shola.Freeman@ct.gov|
|Kelly Mero||SDE-P3A Union||860-807-2073||Kelly.Mero@ct.gov|
|Debra Paradis||SDE- Management||860-713-6695||Debra.Paradis@ct.gov|